check-ups and cleanings
Maintain a beautiful and healthy smile with regular check-ups and cleanings at river oaks dental
It is important to have regular dental appointments, at least twice a year, with your dentist to maintain the health of your teeth and gums, as well as to promote your whole body health. A hygiene appointment at River Oaks Dental isn’t just about cleaning your teeth-we look at your overall oral health and how that relates to your whole-body health.
We believe that individualized care promotes the best health outcomes, so your Jacksonville dental cleanings will always be personalized for your unique dental needs and goals.
What to expect at your hygiene visit at river oaks dental
1) Review of your medical and dental history, including changes of medications, and recording blood pressure
2) Thorough cleaning of teeth and gums, which may include ultrasonic cleaning, hand scaling, and polishing
3) Assessment of periodontal condition (gums)
4) Oral Cancer Screening
5) Check for cavities and make sure all restorations (fillings, crowns) are in good working order
6) Ultrasonic cleaning of any removable appliance or prosthetic, including dentures, partials, retainers, clear aligner orthodontic trays, occlusal/night guards, sports/bite guards, and sleep apnea appliances
7) Oral hygiene instructions/home care instructions
8) Exam with Dr. Monteiro to check oral health and answer any questions you may have about your dental needs and overall oral health
9) Review of any treatment prescribed with our treatment coordinator
10) Personalized product recommendations and samples
Other things that may occur at your hygiene appointments depend on your individual needs! We do not have a one size fits all approach to preventative dental care.
1) X-rays are typically taken at your first visit, and then as needed as determined by Dr Monteiro. Patients who have had a lot of dental work, or those prone to cavities may need x-rays more often than patients who don’t have any fillings or cavities. If you have any concerns about x-rays, please let Dr. Monteiro and her staff know and we will be happy to discuss it with you.
2) Application of medication to prevent cavities and help with sensitivity, including fluoride and chlorhexidine varnish
3) Oral irrigation with Chlorhexidine for active inflammation, gingivitis, and periodontal disease
4) Periodontal (gum) therapy (SRP, or deep cleaning)
5) Tobacco cessation
6) Dietary guidance
7) Prescriptions for home care products to promote optimal dental health
Fluoride is a naturally occurring mineral that has the ability to strengthen teeth and provide protection from tooth decay. Professional fluoride treatments are the easiest and most cost effective way to prevent cavities for adults and children alike. It is also effective at treating tooth sensitivity, especially along the gumline.
At your dental exam, Dr. Monteiro will evaluate your risk for tooth decay. Based on her findings and your preferences, she will develop a customized cavity prevention routine for you to optimize your oral health.
For those patients who prefer an alternative to fluoride for cavity prevention, we offer fluoride-free MI paste and chlorhexidine varnish, Cervitec, that can help achieve many of the same benefits that fluoride provides.
As always, the best cavity prevention involves a healthy diet that is low in sugar and refined carbohydrates, meticulous oral hygiene including brushing and flossing, and regular dental check-ups and cleanings.