Are you anxious or afraid of the dentist?
You are not alone!
75% of all adults have some degree of dental fear, with 10% having severe anxiety that keeps them from going to the dentist at all. Dr. Rachel Monteiro and her team make every effort to make you comfortable and relaxed for your dental treatment. In addition to the luxurious and relaxing environment at our Jacksonville dental office, we also offer two types of sedation for patients with moderate to severe dental anxiety. Whether you have no dental anxiety or severe dental anxiety, Dr. Rachel Monteiro and her team are the most compassionate and gentle dental care providers you can find! Come see how going to the dentist can be a relaxing and comfortable experience! Give us a call to schedule an appointment with Dr. Monteiro at 904-348-0416.
A relaxing dental experience
AT RIVER OAKS DENTAL, WE WORK WITH YOU TO KEEP YOU AS COMFORTABLE AS POSSIBLE AND MINIMIZE THE STRESS ASSOCIATED WITH RECEIVING DENTAL TREATMENT. HERE’S HOW WE DO IT:
Don't let fear stand in your way of a healthy and beautiful smile!
Oral sedation at River oaks dental is your answer!
If fear has kept you from addressing your dental concerns or maintaining regular check-ups and cleanings, then you may be one of the millions of people who suffer from dental anxiety. First, we want to acknowledge your dental anxiety. We will never dismiss that or minimize that. We also want you to know that you are not alone, and that we have solutions for you that will ensure a comfortable, stress-free, and pain-free dental experience.
Most people who choose oral sedation for their dental procedures do have moderate to severe dental anxiety. This can stem from many places, including negative dental experiences from childhood, claustrophobia, or even a history of abuse, trauma, or neglect. However, there are other reasons why people may elect oral sedation for their dental visit:
the river oaks dental oral sedation experience
1. Call our friendly patient care coordinator, Rhonda, to schedule an appointment for a sedation consultation with Dr. Monteiro. Rhonda will answer any questions you have about your first visit and gather some information from you, including contact information and insurance information, if applicable.
2. Arrive at our beautiful office in the heart of Lakewood, just off San Jose Blvd. Follow the signs for “Patient Parking” and come on in! You will be greeted at the front desk by one of our welcoming team members and you can relax in our reception room while you fill out your new patient paperwork. Remember to bring your medication lists and physician contact information!
3. You will meet with Dr. Rachel Monteiro in our private consultation room. This is a quiet room away from the rest of the office where we can get to know each other, discuss your dental and medical history, determine your dental goals, and review what sedation options are available to you to ensure a comfortable dental experience. We will also take your baseline vital measurements, including blood pressure, pulse, and oxygen saturation to ensure you are healthy for sedation.
4. If you feel comfortable, we can take a series of x-rays and complete an initial examination to determine your exact treatment needs. Alternatively, we can schedule a time for this to be done under sedation.
5. Dr. Monteiro will put together your custom treatment plan that addresses your dental concerns with your goals in mind, and we can review this treatment plan in as little or as much detail as you like.
6. A team member will review your financial plan with you, including insurance benefits, co-pays, and payment options.
7. We will schedule an appointment for your first sedation visit, usually first thing in the morning, and prescriptions for the sedation medications will be sent to your preferred pharmacy.
8. The night before your dental visit you will take a small pill that will help you get a good nights rest. Remember no eating or drinking 8 hours before your appointment!
9. The morning of your appointment, you will have your companion drive you to our office. You may already be feeling relaxed from the medication from the night before. Once in the treatment room, we will place a blood pressure cuff and pulse oximeter, and monitor your vitals continuously through your appointment on our hospital grade vitals monitoring system. Then we will dispense the sedation medications to you and let you relax with a pillow, blanket, and a good show on Netflix while the medication takes effect, about 45 minutes. A team member will always be in the room with you to monitor you for your safety. Only when you are feeling completely comfortable will Dr. Monteiro begin your treatment.
10. During your treatment, you will be very relaxed and comfortable. You may fall asleep for a little while, but will be able to wake up easily and have control of your surroundings if needed (such as for a bathroom break or a sip of water). Before you know it, the appointment will be finished and your companion will drive you home and stay with you for the rest of the day while you rest and recover. You may be sleepy the rest of the day, and should wake up the next day feeling refreshed with little to no memory of your dental appointment.
Oral sedation is a safe and effective treatment option
Dr. Monteiro has received advanced training in oral sedation from DOCS, a leading organization for dental oral sedation, and maintains a membership in this professional organization. This has enabled Dr. Monteiro to offer sedation to her patients to ensure safe, comfortable, and stress-free dental care. At all times, your vital signs will be monitored by hospital grade monitoring equipment to provide the safest treatment possible. When nitrous oxide (laughing gas) is used along with oral sedation, we always use single-use masks and tubing-the most safe and sterile method. Dr. Monteiro maintains a fully stocked emergency kit, along with back-up oxygen supplies, and has advanced training in CPR and medical emergency management.