More people in Jacksonville, Florida, are turning to cosmetic dentistry to resolve their smile flaws, and a range of treatments to enhance the appearance of the teeth are available. However, if you have concerns about safety, that’s completely understandable – in the long run, sacrificing your oral health to have nicer-looking teeth wouldn’t be beneficial.
So is a treatment to enhance the beauty of your pearly whites really in your best interests? Is cosmetic dentistry even safe?
Visit a qualified Jacksonville dental professional, and you can have a gorgeous grin without putting your health at risk. Here’s what you need to know about the safety of cosmetic dentistry.
Defining Cosmetic Dentistry
Cosmetic dentistry is focused on improving the appearance of the smile. In comparison, the purpose of preventative dentistry procedures like exams and cleanings is to maintain good oral health. And though some cosmetic treatments fall under the umbrella of restorative dentistry, that area of specialization is primarily concerned with the function and structure of the teeth.
Jacksonville dentists with expertise in cosmetic dentistry use a number of techniques to create beautiful, balanced smiles. In the hands of a trained professional, all of the following are safe dental procedures:
- Teeth whitening – A simple, non-invasive cosmetic treatment, whitening removes stains and leaves the teeth looking lighter and brighter.
- Metal–free restorations – Made of porcelain and ceramic materials, metal-free crowns and bridges offer reliable strength and enhanced aesthetics.
- Porcelain veneers – Applied to the front of the teeth, veneers are custom-made, wafer-thin shells used to create a strong, naturally beautiful smile.
- Dental bonding – A cost-effective cosmetic procedure, bonding uses a tooth-colored composite resin to effectively hide smile imperfections.
- Clear aligners – An alternative to traditional braces, aligners gradually straighten crooked teeth through the use of invisible, custom-molded trays.
Several other procedures, including gum contouring, tooth crown lengthening and dental implant placement, might also be considered in the realm of cosmetic dentistry. With an experienced Jacksonville dentist who prioritizes patient safety, any of these smile enhancements can provide an optimal outcome with minimal risk.
Safety in Cosmetic Dentistry
Given the widespread availability of cosmetic dental treatments and the elective nature of procedures completed by cosmetic dentists, it’s easy to see why people have safety concerns. Taking a cautious approach is wise, as some teeth whitening products and clear aligners that can be purchased online and at local stores may not be safe for all patients to use. And the truth is, some cosmetic dentists aren’t all that safety-conscious.
Though the focus of cosmetic dentistry is aesthetic perfection, safety should always be a consideration. Qualified dentists employ various measures to ensure the well-being and oral health of every patient, showing due regard for:
- Infection control, following the guidelines of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for maintaining a hygienic treatment environment
- Sterilization and disinfection, utilizing proven techniques and safe, effective products to prevent cross-contamination between patients
- Dental materials, choosing biocompatible bonding agents, composite resins, whitening agents and other products that meet strict safety standards
- Continuing education, committing to ongoing learning in order to stay in-the-know about the latest techniques and safety protocols for cosmetic procedures
- Risk assessment, conducting a thorough evaluation of each patient to identify potential concerns and allow for personalized treatment planning
In addition, effective communication is crucial for patient safety. Explaining the potential risks and benefits of any cosmetic dentistry treatment and discussing the alternative options fosters trust, and helping patients make informed decisions paves the way for a safe dental experience.
Looking for a Cosmetic Dentist in Jacksonville, Florida?
When searching for a Jacksonville dentist with expertise in cosmetic dentistry, finding one who prioritizes patient safety is of paramount importance. To track down the right professional to meet your needs, you can try a few different strategies.
First, ask friends, family members, co-workers and neighbors for recommendations. If anyone you know and trust has had a cosmetic dental treatment, they can provide insight on their experience and the dentist’s regard for safety.
Second, take the time to conduct online research, looking at patient reviews, testimonials and the websites of local cosmetic dentists. Comb through the information for any mention of infection control, sterilization procedures, safety protocols and commitment to patient well-being.
Finally, you could reach out to one of the regulatory bodies in the region. The Jacksonville Dental Society, the Northeast District Dental Association and the Florida Dental Association have strict guidelines that members must follow, and they can provide a list of local cosmetic dentists who adhere to a high level of safety and professionalism.
Another approach you could take when looking for a cosmetic dentistry practice that prioritizes safety is to simply call River Oaks Dental. Our dedication to providing safe, effective dental treatments is second to none in the Jacksonville area — every procedure we complete is carried out with careful attention to infection control, sterilization, disinfection and overall patient well-being.