Burgundy ivory ribbon awareness on doctor's hand, symbolic bow color for head and neck cancer, oral squamous cell carcinoma, throat, laryngeal and pharyngeal cancer

Oral Cancer screening in jacksonville, florida

Dr. Rachel Monteiro and her dedicated team are committed to performing oral cancer screenings in Jacksonville, Florida at River Oaks Dental.  All patients receive oral cancer screenings at their new patient exams as well as at annual hygiene visits.  When oral cancer and other oral conditions, such as non-cancerous lesions and autoimmune conditions, are diagnosed early it is more likely that your treatment will be successful. 

What is oral cancer?

Oral cancer is a cancer of the oral cavity, including lips, cheeks, throat, palate, floor of the mouth, and gums.  

How serious is oral cancer?

Oral cancer is a very serious condition.  When caught early, often through routine oral cancer screening with your dentist, the treatment outcomes are very good.  However many cases of oral cancer are not caught until their in advanced stages.  At this point, oral cancer is difficult to treat and can have a huge impact on the patient’s quality of life.  

What are the risk factors for oral cancer?

The most common risk factor is tobacco use (cigarettes, cigars, chewing tobacco, and vape).  Alcohol use when combined with tobacco use increases the risk.  Recently, certain strains of HPV (human papilloma virus) have been shown to cause oral cancer, especially in patients who do not have other risk factors such as tobacco and alcohol use.  Oral cancer is 5 times more common in men than women.  

What is an oral cancer screening?

An oral cancer screening is a painless process and should be completed at least once a year by your dentist.  The tongue is held gently forward while your dentist looks at all the areas of your mouth and feels with a finger for any abnormal findings.  Any areas that look abnormal may require additional testing, such as a biopsy or imaging with CBCT.  

How can I prevent oral cancer?

Lowering your risk factors by not using any tobacco products is the best way to prevent oral cancer.  Recently, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) expanded the use of Gardasil vaccine for the prevention of HPV related oral cancers.  Most importantly, maintaining regular dental check-ups, complete with oral cancer screenings, will help catch any abnormalities in the early stages.  

At River Oaks Dental, we are committed to helping you maintain your oral and overall health.  To experience excellence in dental care, please contact our team by calling us at 904-348-0416 to schedule a consultation with Dr. Rachel Monteiro.  We look forward to making you smile!

Oral cancer screenings at river oaks dental saves lives

Each year, nearly half a million people are diagnosed with Oral Cancer worldwide.  Within 5 years of diagnosis, oral cancer will claim more than 40% of those lives.  The remaining 60% may carry the lifetime effects, such as loss of portions of the tongue, difficulty swallowing, tooth loss, chronic dry mouth, and the need for major reconstructive surgery and prostheses.

The high mortality rate of oral cancer is largely due to the diagnosis being made in late stages, when the cancer has already spread.  When detected early, 5 year survival rates are high, between 70-90%. 

The good news is that oral cancer is not hard to detect.  Screenings are inexpensive, painless, non-invasive, and fast!  Ask Dr. Monteiro for more information at your next visit!

Skip to content